Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Film Review Blog: Am I Tweaking? Yes.

    Hey, what's up? As you can see, I have returned quite promptly after having taken my short film in for review. I showed it to none other than my parents, whom, despite their neverending support, I have asked to be objective and critical of my work. With this in mind, I plan to take each of their criticisms without offense. After having spoken, with them individually, I came up with similar feedback from both of them. The primary issues lie in audio rather than the physical aspects of our film. As we near our deadlines, I’ve never been more grateful to not have to stress about reshooting a scene. Circling back to the auditory issues, the main problem seems to be with the introduction of the song at the very end. Both my mother and father stated that they had trouble hearing the police officer because of how loud the music was. This whilst my teammate’s sister suggested we find a way to make the sound of the police officer quieter. Herein lay the struggle to strike a balance between the muffling of the police audio so it sounds distant and as though it originated from a source external to that of the house and it being intelligible in the first place. I ultimately decided that I should increase the volume of the diegetic sound of the police officer and decrease that of the music, at least until the aforementioned sound had concluded so as to not overshadow the importance of announcing the officer’s presence as our impactful ending. The other noticeable tweak I was told to make was to have audio from the news report carry over when the primary subject makes comment about seeing their forgotten partner on-screen. That way, we could avoid an awkward and unrealistic silence. Since it is my voice, I plan on recording a muffled sentence or two in regards to the case to fill the space, but making it lower when I insert it into the short film. In doing so, I will ensure that the primary subject can still be heard.

    One of my group members’ fathers made the suggestion that we should make our short film a little brighter in some places, which I wholeheartedly agree with. The last thing we would want in our short thriller film riddled with clues and elements of foreshadowing would be to have our hard work for subtle details overlooked. As such, prior to submitting and exporting the final copy of our short film, I intend to conduct a final and cohesive edit of the lighting, color, and tones of the featurette. My other teammates' sister then proposed that we fix the transition between the bathroom scene and the office scene to have our action-match cut line up better, which I something I plan on addressing. Another piece of constructive criticism I received was actually in the vein of costuming. My father told me that it would have been better had we changed the pajamas worn by the primary subject and perhaps their jewelry as well to signify that it was a new day. Looking back, I can agree that this may have been the better option, but my group and I feel as though there are enough contextual and auditory clues that allow the audience to understand that it is in fact a new day when appropriate. In any case, I have chosen to take everyone’s advice and suggestions in stride and will be sure to retain these tips to better my personal projects going forth. I am quite grateful to have such an encouraging and honest team of people by my side and I know my success is ensured because “We're all in this together(!)” (The High School Musical Cast, 2006).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection: Reminiscing and Ruminating

Well, it seems that  my two-year long journey in AICE Media Studies has come to an end. Thank you for taking the time to accompany me throug...