Saturday, March 4, 2023

Production Blog: The Editing Edition

    Hi! After having filmed the other day, I was finally able to get to what is probably one of my favorite parts of the production process, editing! My editing session was rather short today because we were only able to get one scene completed due to the tight schedule we were running on the other day, but I would definitely say that I was rather productive. Considering that I only had one scene to edit, I determined that it would be best if today I just worked on preliminary alterations in iMovie. Using that platform at this point in time would optimize the efficiency of my editing period instead of having to navigate around the more complicated Davinci Resolve application this early on (yes, it will be making a comeback despite our differences last year). During filming, we ran into the issue of human error once my phone stabilizer had run out of battery, which unfortunately manifested itself in an awkward cut between two shots once I spliced together two parts from the continuous video we had taken. Interestingly, the purpose of taking the long, continuous shot was to avoid encountering such an issue, but even the most unnoticeable shifts of the camera during filming are picked up once the shot is later reviewed. Before making any drastic changes I conferred with the rest of my group. 

    One of my teammates suggested that I try to line up the other shots we had taken of the first half of the scene with those of the later half to make the cut less obvious. A great idea, I must admit, but it was to no avail. Either the framing or lighting was off (no, I don't mean literally for the latter), so it was a no-go. Plus, the first half of the lengthier shot was the one in which the alcohol flask was the most prominent, so had one of the other clips lined up with the other half of the longer clip, then our viewers may have instead taken our effort to achieve a unique transition as a sign that my team and I had fallen victim to a continuity error so early on in our short film. Since adjusting the framing of both shots to fit one another would also, in part, require me to compare them to each of the preceding and following scenes (which we have yet to film) so as to ensure there is a seamless transition between each location, I resorted to editing the tints and hues of said scene so that they fit with the overall tone my groupmates and I aspired to create for that part of the short film. With that being said, for consistency's sake, I did make sure to save a copy of the exact modifications I used as a preset so that I can later apply it to additional scenes in which such a mood is appropriate. This did warrant some collaboration with our in-house, on-team, music creator and innovator (I think reading Dr. Seuss's books to my younger cousin is doing a number on me), who helped me map out the score for each scene. She actually created a score for the scene we worked on the same day that we filmed, so I was able to superimpose the audio over the clips I had gathered. That then allowed me to determine what color I felt best matched the emotions I felt that the shots evoked. I ultimately settled on a red and greenish tint, which I felt evoked a sense of boredom, something that the rest of my team also seemed to concur with. This establishment of said tone would also allow for the scene to be reminiscent of an earlier time, giving it a more vintage feel. It also went hand in hand with the idea that when one drinks alcohol, their face becomes flushed and adopts a more red-like hue.

I just know that with some patience, "tender love and care" (Michael Jackson 1982) our short film can be edited into a masterpiece!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection: Reminiscing and Ruminating

Well, it seems that  my two-year long journey in AICE Media Studies has come to an end. Thank you for taking the time to accompany me throug...