Monday, February 27, 2023

Production Blog: Or A Lack Thereof

    Good day faithful reader o’ mine blog, I come bearing unfortunate news (I’m practicing for the upcoming Renaissance Festival!). My team and I were unable to convene this past weekend to begin the filming process due to scheduling conflicts, we are on track to commence this upcoming Thursday however. Regarding the issues with coming together to begin shooting our short film over the weekend, they arose because I, like my teammates, need to focus my academic attention elsewhere, namely towards the SAT exam which takes place later this week. Seeing as all three members of my group, including myself, are all rising seniors, it is imperative now more than ever that we begin to focus on college and strengthening our applications. I'm one year closer to being a fully-fledged adult and I won't say that I'm not apprehensive about it, but it's been a long time coming. That is not to say that in our downtime, we did not work towards our final task. I took care of the gathering of necessary props for our short film. Although our film will have a number of props that are overlooked, solely being used to set the general atmosphere of a particular scene, I needed to locate and acquire props that are more central to the plot itself. As one does when searching for any relatively outdated piece of technology, my first stop was the thrift store and my intended targets were a voice recorder and a desk phone. The voice recorder was a bit more challenging to come across, but I managed to find one after my second thrift store stop, it definitely gave my team and I a run for our money, being a bit pricier than expected (it was in pretty much pristine condition though). Of course, as with any other items my team and I will purchase going forwards, we each pitched in to offset the cost and equally distribute our budget to make our purchases more reasonably priced for each of us. Having said that, I would note that any and all purchases made or to be made, are all agreed upon by the team and this time around I did send pictures of what I intended to purchase; of course, any member of the team who makes a purchase will be asked to undertake this duty as well. Now, as you may recall, the voice recorder will be used in a multitude of different scenes, acting as a memory “device” (pun intended) for the primary subject who suffers from self-induced Wernicke-Korsakoff syndrome. When it comes to the desk phone, I guess quitting an office job and taking a box of your things home isn’t all the common (yes I am aware of the fact that work phones are owned by the company, but for the sake of painting a funny image, I figured I’d include the joke as bad as it is), so I actually was unable to get one. All hope is not lost however, being the teacher’s pet certainly has its perks and my team and I will be able to borrow an extra phone that our school has in storage. In any case, one of my groupmates conferred with her father and, if all goes well, we will not only have a desk phone to work with, but an actual office to shoot our corresponding scene in!

    After doing a bit of rummaging around in my family’s condominium storage unit, I came across a box of old office supplies, where, lo and behold, I found a brand new stress ball (simpler times, I guess) and a digital clock. After doing a quick change of the batteries, the clock was brought back to life and I knew it was an absolute win for us! I had initially suggested that my team and I use a flip clock to make for a more interesting transition from when our short film title (24) is displayed to the next shot, but when thrifting produced no results and none of the options on Amazon matched the feeling we were shooting for, and were too expensive to even be taken into consideration most of the time, I needed to look elsewhere. Who would have thought I’d find a fitting alternative so quickly? The last item I needed to check off from my list was a pad of sticky notes, and wouldn’t you know it, a teenage girl like myself needn’t search farther than her desk drawer to uncover an abundance of them. Despite my numerous color options, ranging from blue to pink, and even green, I figured the classic, trademark yellow was the way to go, and after a group consensus, that’s what was decided.

    While this weekend was productive in the sense that I was able to contribute new items for our filming session, I can assure you that come this Thursday, there will be “No ifs, ands, or buts about it(!)” (Debbie Taylor 1972).






No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection: Reminiscing and Ruminating

Well, it seems that  my two-year long journey in AICE Media Studies has come to an end. Thank you for taking the time to accompany me throug...