Thursday, March 2, 2023

Production Blog: March "Marketing" Madness

    Hey there! As you might have expected, a marketing blog was well on its way. For any short film or full-length feature, it is essential to have not only an established fanbase, but also a means of promoting our work to a larger audience. Given that our films intended to appeal to a wide variety of ages, my team and I have decided to expand our reach across a number of different streaming and social media platforms today. The first account I created was one on Gmail. The creation of a centralized email account, to which my teammates and I all share the password to, allowed me to then create linked social media accounts. It has, as such, become a working business email for us to eventually relay information from the production team (ourselves) to the viewers when our website is officially up and running, as well as a means to contact film festival organizers in the case that we choose to enter our short. Following the creation of our formal email address, I figured the next logical course of action was to start a channel on YouTube. The process was quite seamless because both platforms are managed by the same company. After discussing the creation of the channel with my teammates, we decided that we might choose to post a blooper reel later on, or perhaps some behind-the-scenes footage, aside from just uploading our film there. As amazing as it was to have received permission to incorporate an actual song ("metamorphosis" by Jayomi) into our short film, I prefer to err on the side of caution and, as such, to avoid having our video taken down and inaccessible for viewers, I created a Vimeo account as well. 

    When it came to actual social media accounts, I also secured an Instagram account. Since I am familiar with the popular platform, creating a profile was not at all difficult. As for the actual profile picture, I was able to work some photo editing and digital art magic (of which I am no master) on ibis Paint X to get an image that I felt matched the tone of our film, as well as one that inspired intrigue to attract followers. I ensured to follow some of my top cinematographic inspirations (I've asked my partners to do the same) as well as my fellow groupmates so that we would be able to remain connected and active. The handle, or username, I created for our Instagram account is the very same one I used upon then opening up another account on Twitter, where I also used the same profile picture for consistency purposes. In doing so, I intend for our short film to increase its publicity by maintaining a recognizable name and image across platforms. Of course, I also needed to create a Facebook account. 

    Unfortunately, it seems as though in Mark Zuckerberg's efforts to reconcile with his upset patrons following the 2018 Facebook incident, security and protective measures for users have been tightened, to the detriment of high school students like myself who are just looking for another outlet through which I am able to increase viewership for my short film. This is especially true considering that I lack access to the funds and public connections necessary to create widespread advertising campaigns and receive sponsorships for our featurette. Anywho, my approval for a Facebook is currently pending, so hopefully it will be accepted into the database, if not, we have a myriad of other ways to reach out to our potential audience. 

If the name looks a bit odd, that is because it is a combination of all three of my team members: Jordyn (myself), Aja, and Ashley.

    With great outreach powers comes great responsibility and I have since delegated the duty of social media manager and website creator to my other teammates. I, on the other hand, will be devising ideas for posts and having them made in the first place before they are reviewed by the team as a whole. In fact, I am currently working on our launch post for our Instagram account where I will be introducing my groupmates and giving our viewers a chance to familiarize themselves with the cast and production crew behind the film, so keep an eye out for that! Aside from all of that, I am also working on designing the postcard for our short film, so I'll be sure to keep you "posted" on that as well. I will be including images of each of our social media platforms below with the usernames included, so be sure to give us a follow to stay current on our latest posts, announcements, and updates!


As this blog comes to a close I'm happy to say that I'm ready to welcome our audience "with open arms(!)" (Journey 1982).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection: Reminiscing and Ruminating

Well, it seems that  my two-year long journey in AICE Media Studies has come to an end. Thank you for taking the time to accompany me throug...